Ladd McConkey named 2023 Wuerffel Trophy semifinalist
UGA football junior wide receiver Ladd McConkey has been named a semifinalist for the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy, it was announced on Thursday.
The Wuerffel Trophy, named after former Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel, is presented by the All Sports Association of Fort Walton Beach, Fla., to the college football player who “…best combines exemplary community service with leadership achievement on and off the field.”
McConkey is one of eight semifinalists for the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy, each of which are listed below:
- Matthew Cindric, California, Senior, Offensive Line
- Will Shipley, Clemson, Junior, Running Back
- Ja’Mion Franklin, Duke, Graduate Student, Defensive Tackle
- Derek Wingo, Florida, Junior, Linebacker
- Ladd McConkey, Georgia, Junior, Wide Receiver
- Blake Corum, Michigan, Senior, Running Back
- JD Bertrand, Notre Dame, Senior, Linebacker
- Zach Frazier, West Virginia, Junior, Center
“These semifinalists are an amazing group of student athletes. They impact their colleges, local communities and beyond—an inspiring group of young men,” said Danny Wuerffel.
The winner of the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy will be formally announced on Dec. 8 during The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN, and the presentation of the award will occur on Friday, Feb. 17, 2024, at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, Ga.
Ladd McConkey, who hails from Chatsworth, Ga., has amassed 104 receptions, 1451 yards, and 13 touchdowns during his two seasons in Athens. He also has 11 rushes for 178 yards and three touchdowns.
The second-ranked Georgia Bulldogs (8-0) are next scheduled to host the 12th-ranked Missouri Tigers (7-1) on Saturday, Nov. 4 at Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga. The game will be televised by CBS at 3:30pm ET (Buy Tickets).